Friday 12 December 2014

Non-Narrative Illustration

In the first few weeks since the second year started, I have been researching and developing my ideas for my concept designs by looking at the other illustrations and research about them. Looking into art magazines and books to build up ideas in my head.

ImagineFX
Useful sources like ImagineFX gives open information about artists and their work, introduce many styles if art, how they are done and how to find stuff like books, brushes, paints, pens, photoshop, art programmes for artists and others who appreciate fantasy and science fiction art.



Each issue of the magazine provides a tutorial from artists to explain how they used their skills to create artworks. Introduce illustrations from games, books, movies and tv series. They advertise a lot of the art, useful for artists to find that could help give ideas, what inspired people to become artists and what can help others to develop their skills further.

Flipbook 
wanting to make something to try out while working on my project, then I thought why not make something new and try it like the flip book. Knowing it be a little tricky to draw the same character on a different page so I picked an owl and draw it flying. 



To get it right I watched a few videos of owls flying in slow motion to get the movement right and draw one after the other in a second or so for the flip book. Making it easier to memorise the formation and what the owl would do next instead of using my head to imagine it.



Using 16 steps into pages for the book after finishing the animation in my sketchbook, coloured it in and giving it a sort of texture for the background. Figured it be better then having it just a drawing and no colour. The hard part was after printing them out was making sure the pages were of the same size due to the measurement mistakes so I had to be careful when cutting them into the same shape and size.



After getting it down I punctured the holes, used a string to tie the pages together into a flip book (mirrored) and actually liked how it turned out in the end with all the hard work put into this. The hard part was making sure the flip animation was good enough since this has been the first time I made one and quite enjoyed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment